Thursday 5 February 2009

New Music



Although they have been around for a while, working through my backlog of music is a full time job. For 2 weeks I've had my headphones surgically attached with this album on repeat. It's ethereal and quite frankly, if an album make the hair on your body stand up and evoke a well of tear, well, you know you're onto a good thing. I cannot rave more about this truly amazing 3 piece.




This is Karin Elisabeth Dreijer Andersson's side project 'Fever Ray'. The film clip is by Andreas Nilsson who has worked with Karin for years on 'The Knife' material. It's superb, sublime and captivating. The speed that the film is shot reminds me of a slow, romantic and reflective documentary however the imagery is quite the opposite. Eery, haunting, mysterious. The stuff nightmare movies are made of. It reminds me of a reoccurring dream I always have where I am running from something or someone, but cannot move fast enough or my feet are stuck to the ground. It's very powerful.



The lyrics of this song are satirical, witty and damn right intelligent. I am completely convinced by this band mainly because the lyrics have purpose and direction while being filled with fantastic imagery and craftsmanship. Often you listen to songs and don't even realise what they are singing about, it's just the crazy base beat that keeps you coming back for more. Well, it was not the case for this album. My ears went straight to the lyrics which only convinces me more that they are true musicians capable of delivering the right message, which is MUSIC.



This is the singer from Chairlift, Caroline Polachek collaborating with a new duo called Flosstradamus from Chicago. Caroline Polachek vocals brings this potentially cheesy pop song into something that will forever be on high repeat on my IPod.

No comments: